“The chimney, in an upstairs room, was completely sealed except for a small air vent plastered into the brickwork. I explained that, to get the bird out, we’d have to knock a hole through the wall. The following day, with the help of West Midlands Fire & Rescue Service, we managed to free the poor pigeon. The crew removed the vent and chiseled a hole into the wall (pictured) so I could retrieve the bird, who was very lucky to be alive after five days trapped in the chimney.
“Luckily, the pigeon was not injured, and after offering food and water, I was able to release the bird. The pigeon shot off so was obviously pleased to be free.”
If you see a sick, injured animal or an animal in distress, please call the RSPCA’s 24-hour emergency line on 0300 1234 999.