Colors: Yellow Color

Former BMX and track cycling World Champion Shanaze Reade has been announced as the first West Midlands Cycling and Walking Ambassador.

The British cyclist’s appointment was confirmed on the day that regional transport chiefs agreed a £17 million funding package to take spending on cycling in the West Midlands to £10 per head per year up to April 2021.

The grant, from the region’s £71 million Transforming Cities Fund (TCF) transport package, will be invested in safe cycle routes across the West Midlands.

As Ambassador Shanaze, the three time BMX World Champion and twice Team Sprint track world champion, will promote and guide development of cycling throughout the West Midlands.

She welcomed the West Midlands commitment to increasing participation in cycling and walking and the increased funding for safe cycle routes and infrastructure.

She said: “I look forward to helping people discover the amazing benefits of cycling and walking – both for pleasure and as a convenient method of transport. The benefits are endless from saving money, the sense of freedom, mental wellbeing from the exercise and keeping fit. With the infrastructure being put in place there will be no excuse to get out those trainers or on your bike.”

One of her first duties as Ambassador will see Shanaze join Mayor of the West Midlands Andy Street, transport bosses and cycling representatives at a summit on May 22.

Last month Transport for West Midlands (TfWM), part of the West Midlands Combined Authority (WMCA), adopted a new Walking and Cycling policy which outlined the ambition to develop a cycle route network across the region.

The WMCA Board has now approved the award of £17 million cycle funding. This follows the award of a £6 million TCF grant last October.

Combined with expected investment from councils and developers it means that spending on cycling in the West Midlands will reach the target of £10 per head.

Mayor of the West Midlands Andy Street said: “Shanaze will make a brilliant Ambassador for cycling and walking. She has excelled on the track, is a superb role model and will inspire many young people here to get on their bikes.

“We set out to raise investment to £10 per head and are doing just that. In the West Midlands we are serious about cycling – it is fun and great for our health and as an alternative to the car can help ease traffic congestion and improve the quality of the air we breathe.”

The £23 million Transforming Cities Fund will be spent on cycling infrastructure. Last month the WMCA Board approved a new cycling and walking policy which outlined ambitions for a network of safe cycle routes across the region.

Councillor Ian Ward, leader of Birmingham City Council and WMCA portfolio holder for economic, said: "For decades the West Midlands has been associated the world over with motoring, but it's clear that we need to change the way people travel across the region. In addition to getting more people onto public transport, one of our key ambitions is to increase levels of cycling and walking.

"That's why, in recent years, we've launched innovative schemes to get people on their bikes. Through the Birmingham Cycle Revolution and initiatives like the award-winning Big Birmingham Bikes, we've focussed on education, training and of course promoting the many benefits of cycling.

"Now we're looking to build on that success and the creation of this new region-wide role underlines our determination to improve air quality, tackle congestion and improve the health of people across the region."

The appointment has been welcomed by the Department for Transport and British Cycling, the sport’s governing body.

Transport Minister Jesse Norman said: "Massive congratulations to Shanaze on her appointment as West Midlands Cycling and Walking Ambassador.

“And massive congratulations to TfWM for using our new Government grant money to build new cycling infrastructure, as part of a region-wide transport investment programme."

British Cycling chief executive, Julie Harrington, said: “Shanaze has always been a fantastic ambassador for our sport and I am sure she will be equally brilliant in her new role in the West Midlands.

“We are proud that our riders – both past and present – make such a valuable contribution to communities across Britain, and we look forward to watching Shanaze work with Mayor Andy Street to enable more local people to get around by bike in the coming years.”

The Cycling Summit, hosted by the Mayor and Shanaze, will be held in Birmingham and is open to members of the public and organisations. It will set out the mission to supercharge the development of cycling and walking across the West Midlands.

 

 

British Athletics have today named a team of 26 athletes with 78 major international outdoor medals between them for the IAAF World Relays in Yokohama, Japan from 11-12 May 2019. The 26-strong British team includes seven Olympic, 17 World Championship and 21 European Championship relay medallists.

Adam Gemili, Nethaneel Mitchell-Blake and CJ Ujah, who helped Great Britain & Northern Ireland to world 4x100m gold in 2017, are all selected and will be joined by fellow European champion from 2018 Harry Aikines-Aryeetey as well as British champion and European silver medallist over 100m Reece Prescod and two-time world indoor champion Richard Kilty.

In the women’s 4x100m, Olympic bronze medallists from 2016 and world silver medallists from 2017, Desiree Henry, Daryll Neita and Asha Philip; have been named on the British team. They’ll be joined by European champion from 2018 Bianca Williams, European champion from 2014 Ashleigh Nelson and double world junior bronze medallist Kristal Awuah.

In the women’s 4x400m, Emily Diamond, Eilidh Doyle  and Anyika Onuora all have Olympic bronze medals from 2016 and earn selection alongside Finette Agyapong, Amy Allock, Zoey Clark and Laviai Nielsen Clark and Nielsen won world silver with Diamond and Doyle in 2017 while Agyapong and Allcock won their first international relay medals with European bronze last year.

Martyn Rooney – the most decorated athlete on the team alongside Doyle with seven major outdoor relay medals – is the seventh Olympic medallist selected following his 4x400m bronze from 2008 and headlines a squad including fellow world bronze medallists from 2017 Dwayne Cowan, Rabah Yousif and Matthew Hudson-Smith–  also the reigning European champion over 400m.

European champions Dina Asher-Smith and Zharnel Hughes have been given permission by British Athletics not to compete at the IAAF World Relays in line with their individual competition plans for the 2019 season.

The 14 athletes selected across the men’s and women’s 4x400m are the athletes from which the team for the mixed 4x400m will be selected, which is being introduced to the IAAF World Championship schedule for the first time ever in Doha this year. Great Britain & Northern Ireland will not participate in the 4x200m, shuttle hurdles or 2x2x400m relays.

British Athletics Performance Director Neil Black said: “We are extremely proud of the successes of our relay teams over the past three years and our athletes take each and every opportunity to compete on the international stage incredibly seriously, as proven by the sheer strength of the team selected for Yokohama.

“We expect our athletes to continue that tradition of success in Japan and guarantee qualification for all five events for the IAAF World Championships later in the year. The introduction of the mixed 4x400m for Doha is something we are all excited about and we look forward to testing our skills in that event.

“The IAAF World Relays provides us with a great opportunity as we prepare for not only Doha but also for the Olympic Games, which we all know are also being held in Japan in 2020. The opportunity to train and compete in Japan 14 months before the Games is invaluable to all those selected.”

 

The Special Olympics World Games, the world’s largest humanitarian sporting event and a global movement which focuses on the empowerment of people of determination with intellectual disabilities through the power of sport was held in Abu Dhabi, in the United Arab Emirates - the first time in the Middle East North Africa since the movement’s founding over 50 years ago – with Pakistani sprinter, Syeda Kazim, one of the headline acts when she made her “dream come true” after winning bronze medal in the 200 meters division sprint race at the Dubai Police Officer’s Club.

“It was a dream come true for me,” she recalled. “I was extremely happy to be a part of the Special Olympics World Games, especially after bagging the bronze medal.

Winning a bronze medal at Special Olympics World Games Abu Dhabi 2019 was ‘like a dream coming true.”

Syeda, who lives in Karachi, trained for two hours each day to prepare for the World Games, travelling two hours from her home to Karachi’s National Stadium to use the running facilities.

Team GB cycling star Kiera Byland was another headline act, taking gold medal in her race – the 20-year-old athlete was first across the finish line in the women’s 15-kilometer Road Race final held at Yas Marina Circuit.

“I said to my teammates ‘I hope I do really well in my first race’ and then, obviously, I’ve done really good,” Kiera said. “I’ve done all the training and put the effort in with help from my coach and my family.

“I’d like to say thank you to everyone who supported me. I’m just so happy.”

More than 40,000 spectators at Zayed Sports City and millions of viewers worldwide celebrated the Special Olympics World Games with spectators witnessing the largest number of nations take part as every athlete showcase their sporting talent on a global stage; with a stellar line-up of world-renowned musicians  include Avril Lavigne, Paul Oakenfold And Hussain Al Jassmi amongst others.

Legendary stars; Ivory Coast’s Didier Drogba and Brazillian World Cup winner, Cafu, playing alongside Special Olympics footballers at the Unified Sports Clinic.

During, and post Games, initiatives are running daily in schools and community spaces across Abu Dhabi and the UAE to create unity and understanding between the public and people of determination with intellectual disabilities.

 

In his first fight at super-middleweight, former British and Commonwealth middleweight champion Tommy Langford was made to work hard for his points win against Frenchman Baptiste Castegnaro at the Walsall Town Hall on a BCB Promotions event.

Langford didn’t have it all his own way against the tough 28-year-old from southwest France with the six-round super-middleweight contest scored at 58-56 to the 29-year-old from Birmingham.

He started off on the front foot and took the fight to the Frenchman, who has previously shared the ring with Olympic bronze medalist Joshua Buatsi.

Langford, born and raised in North Devon, was dominant behind his double jab and landed a neat left to the body midway through the first round. Castegnaro did manage to have some success in the opener and when he landed cleanly, it visibly incentivised him to follow up, forcing the home fighter backwards. The French fighter did manage to ruffle Langford’s feathers a little bit, who took a tiny tumble at the end of the opener, but was ruled as a slip.

He started the second stanza behind a stiff jab, backing Castegnaro up. They were soon tangled up in the centre of the ring until Castegnaro forced Tommy back to the ropes without managing to land anything at all as Langford ducked and weaved and soon answered with a one-two to the head. It was a clean, controlled round for Langford on the scorecards, as he began to lose his nerves and find his rhythm.

Langford landed a peach of a left hook as the pair traded in the centre of the ring in the third, but Castegnaro managed to score back with one of his own seconds later. This round was contested in close quarters for the first time in the fight as Castegnaro held his feet a bit longer and there was success for both parties during the three minutes of action.

Despite Langford producing the more dominant and aggressive display, Castegnaro enjoyed spells of success and produced a late flurry seconds before the end of the fourth segment.

The fifth round was far more controlled, as Tommy stalked his opponent, who occupied all four corners of the ring for the duration of the round as he attempted to move away from danger. Langford unloaded when he trapped Castegnaro in his home corner and a left hook to the body followed by another to the head sent the Frenchman backpedaling across the ring.

Castegnaro came out swinging in the final round and the pair finished with a firefight in the middle of the ring.

The official scored it four rounds for Langford and two for the visitor.

Langford commented post-fight, “Back to winning ways! I was a little jittery to begin with, I have to admit, but I soon warmed up. To be completely honest, I was actually very nervous and a bit tentative early on, which resulted in a hesitant first few rounds.

“It was to be expected after the lay off and moving up a weight division, but I warmed into it and started to box well and by the end I was really dominating and hurting my opponent, especially with the left hook.

“It was good to get the experience at 168lbs against a fully-fledged super-middleweight who has fought two of the best light-heavyweights in the country in Olympian Joshua Buatsi and English champion Liam Conroy.

“He was a strong, durable opponent, so the experience will be invaluable as I push on to bigger fights. Many others would have had a more conventional or less dangerous opponent for their first step up to a new weight, and, if I’m going to be completely honest, I probably would have liked to have had an easier opponent, but now the job’s done and I’ve come through well, I’m very happy.

“It means the questions that I’ve had have been answered and I’m happy to push on now and look for bigger opportunities at 168lbs.”

The ‘Baggies Bomber’, named so by his huge following of West Bromwich Albion FC fans, has already declared his intentions to become a two-weight British or Commonwealth champion. Zach Parker from nearby Swadlincote is the current British super-middleweight titlist and world title challenger Rocky Fielding last held the Commonwealth strap.

“I’m fully aware that most domestic champions won’t want to give me a shot at their titles, so I’m prepared to work my way into the mandatory position.”

He concluded, “Big thank you to all the fantastic support, it always means a lot. Thanks to BCB Promotions for giving me the platform to fight. We move on to the next one!”

The BCB Promotions ‘Pride of the Midlands’ event also featured Midlands Area middleweight champion Tyler Denny (10-1-2) who earned a shutout points win over six-rounds and has plans to fight for bigger titles in 2019.

Ricky Hatton-trained welterweight Conah Walker (4-0) remained unbeaten as he scored his second KO and unbeaten lightweight Connor Lee Jones moved up to 3-0 with a points win.

Wolverhampton welterweight Kirstie Bavington (2-0-1) scored her first stoppage win in a very one-sided fight.

 

 

 

A University of Wolverhampton web developer has his sights set on sprinting to success in an international triathlon championship competition.

Adam Jones, 29 from Stourbridge, is crowdfunding to help him take part in the age group triathlon competition at the Team GB Championship being held in Russia later this year.

The web developer, who works in the External Relations department at the University and also coaches young athletes in his spare time, competed in the 2018 European Championships in Glasgow and hopes to take part in Kasan, Russia, in July this year.

The ‘sprint’ triathlon competition is made up of three different sports – swimming (750 metres), running (5 kilometres) and cycling (20 kilometres).

He said:  “It felt amazing to represent our country in the championships last year and I’m hoping to do it all again.

“As an age group athlete you have to fund everything yourself – the kit, flights, accommodation and visas – so I thought that crowdfunding would be an ideal way of helping me achieve my goal.”

Adam will be creating a video diary so that funders can track his progress on his journey towards achieving his goal in Russia.

Hick-kicking cabaret, breath-taking ballet, sublime singing and Parisian passion will inspire cinemas audiences when The Royal Opera’s ‘Faust is broadcast live in UK cinemas on Tuesday 30 April 2019, with an encore screening on Sunday 5 May 2019.

Director David McVicar’s theatrical production will captivate audiences with its beautiful sets and costumes, and a stunning cast including American tenor Michael Fabiano as Faust, Uruguayan bass-baritone Erwin Schrott as the devil Méphistophélès and German soprano Diana Damrau as Faust’s beloved Marguerite. Faust is the French composer Charles-François Gounod’s greatest masterpiece and a favourite with opera audiences worldwide.

The opera tells the tale of the disillusioned philosopher Faust who loses faith in God and summons Satan to help him. The devil Méphistophélès appears and offers to make a bargain with Faust: he will give him youth and the young Marguerite’s love if Faust hands over his soul. Faust agrees, seduces Marguerite – but then abandons her, with disastrous consequences. Gounod’s superb score includes some devilish songs for Méphistophélès, Marguerite’s ecstatic ‘Jewel Song’ and a thrilling ballet in Act V. 

The Royal Opera House cinema broadcasts offer audiences the best seats in the house, and include exclusive behind-the-scenes footage, interviews and detailed close-ups of performers. Audiences are never far from a Royal Opera or Royal Ballet performance, with most UK viewers located within 30 miles of a cinema screening. In the 2017/18 Season more than one million people globally saw a world-class opera or ballet production from the Royal Opera House, at one of more than 1,500 cinemas in 51 countries. 

The cinema broadcast of Faust’ starts at 6.45pm and lasts three hours and 30 minutes including one interval. There is an encore screening on Sunday 5 May at 2pm. The opera will be sung in French with English surtitles.