Environmental Health Team Promotes Gas Safety Week

Environmental Health Team Promotes Gas Safety Week

SHARE

Sandwell Council’s environmental health officers are warning about the dangers of faulty oven ignition switches as part of Gas Safety Week.

Officers are working closely with food business that operate tandoor ovens to raise awareness of the risks and warn that anyone continuing to light ovens unsafely faces enforcement action.

Tandoor ovens present a particular risk and should be lit with an external ignition. If an ignition system is absent or broken food handlers may try to light the oven by leaning into the chamber often using a lit serviette or piece of paper. As gas may have built up in the chamber this can lead to a risk of explosion with the potential for causing serious injuries.

Twenty gas safety visits have been completed since April. Local businesses are also being reminded to use the Gas Safe Register to find engineers qualified to work on commercial catering equipment, and that any maintenance of gas equipment on site follows gas safety legislation.

Councillor Elaine Costigan, the council’s cabinet member for public health and protection said: “Our environmental health service is leading our Gas Safety Week campaign across the borough, helping to spread important and, in some cases, lifesaving advice about gas safety.

“It’s also so vital that we remind people not to cut corners with gas and always ask a suitably qualified Gas Safe registered engineer to work on gas appliances at their home or business to stay gas safe.”

Facebook Comments

NO COMMENTS

LEAVE A REPLY