Eversfield Organic, one of Devon's most visionary food producers, is opening its first farm shop and deli at 2 West Street, in the centre of Tavistock, on Tuesday 16th October. It will provide a one-stop shop for everyone who really cares about what they and their family eat and believes organic is best. The deli will provide a hub for the local community to enjoy food produced locally and sustainably.
The Eversfield business - motto 'Enjoy Food - Enjoy Life' - has enjoyed huge success in recent years providing organic food boxes, which are delivered all over the UK. The Bury family farm, just a few miles from the market town of Tavistock, provides organic meat, raised on grass to the highest welfare standards. Gradually fish, vegetables, fruit, larder, bakery and deli products were added to the Eversfield offering, wherever possible organic, and Eversfield became what it is today: an amazing online emporium of the finest foods produced in the South West.
This month Eversfield celebrates its online success by opening its first shop, in the prosperous market town of Tavistock. Although the West Country is famed for its fantastic offering of artisanal produce, Eversfield's farm shop is exceptional in that all produce is certified organic, bar fish and game where sources of wild produce is preferable. Although many shops in the West Country offer organic produce, Eversfield is exceptional in that almost everything on sale is organic.
Mark Bury, who grew up in Yelverton, left the city life in 2002 to pursue his dream of farming in Devon, comments: 'The shop is a natural development of the Eversfield Organic vision. When we arrived at Ellacott [the family farm in Bratton Clovelly] we spent two back-breaking years bringing the land - which had been intensively farmed - back to fertility. For me and my family, organic means the best for our own health, the animals we keep and the health of our soil and wildlife.”
Customers who wish to enjoy the results of Eversfield's 'enlightened farming' can now spend time browsing in the Tavistock shop. This is much more than a standard farm shop/deli. You can do all your shopping here in the one place, as well as linger and hang out in a relaxed and mindful atmosphere.
- A major draw will be the butchery counter, showcasing Eversfield's multi-award-winning range of organic fresh and cured meats. Often something new, and always seasonal. Look out especially for Eversfield Organic's multi-award winning steaks and pork roasts. You'll also know exactly which farm each cut has come from each day for 100% traceability.
- Fresh fruit and vegetables, sourced locally wherever possible, and all organic.
- Baker Tom's breads, including sourdough and spelt loaves.
- Coffee bar, serving Owens organic coffee, roasted in Ivybridge. Join the battle on single use and bring your own mug to have in or take away.
- Wonderful organic cheeses, both regional and international, plus olives and charcuterie to fill your sharing platters.
- Freshly prepared 'Soul Bowls' to go, nutritious lunches packed with flavor, made with 100% organic produce.
- Carefully curated section of larder staples, such as organic oils, pasta and rice.
- A wine cave - one of the few places in the West Country offering 100% organic wines.
- Wild game in season - wild rather than organic, to ensure the animal has lived as freely and naturally as possible.
- Fresh fish - again, wild rather than organic, sourced from a family run sustainable fishing business in St Ives, Cornwall.
While much of Eversfield Organic's growing fan base will continue to opt for home delivery, the shop will bring under one roof everything that has made the brand famous and won it so many awards over the years. In early September Eversfield Organic's 'Roam and Relish' Honey Smoked Streaky Bacon won Champion Bacon at the Taste of the West Awards. Honey Smoked Streaky (184g/£4.97), Traditional Ham Slices and Honey Roast Ham Slices (both 100g/£3.95) are now being stocked in 16 branches of Waitrose, and other meat and deli products can be found at selected outlets in the South West and London.
'Our arrival in Tavistock is a natural development for Eversfield,' comments Mark Bury, 'but it doesn't stop there. We see the shop as a springboard for our business, and the Eversfield team has all sorts of ideas in development, including one-off events and a series of pop-up dinners. Christmas is a really important time for us - our organic hams and turkeys are incredibly popular - and we are looking forward to the chance of meeting our customers in person, and making new friends to add to our flourishing online community.'